Our founding attorney, Jennifer Stanton Hargrave, has completed the rigorous requirements to become Board Certified in family law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. In addition, she is a member of the Texas Academy of Family Law Specialists, the Dallas Bar Family Law Section and Collaborative Divorce Texas. U.S. News & World Report has included her in their ranking of Best Lawyers since 2012 (2012-2020), and Texas Super Lawyers has included her in their ranking for eight years running, naming her one of the Top 50 Women Attorneys in Texas(2014). She also is AV Preeminent peer-review rated* through Martindale-Hubbell, is a member of the College of the State Bar of Texas and has been a Fellow in the Texas Bar Foundation since 2017. She has been recognized on the D Magazine listing as Best Lawyers in Dallas and, as she began her career in family law, she was repeatedly included as a Texas Rising Star in Texas Monthly Magazine. Jennifer Hargrave is widely respected by her peers, as well as her former clients.
Ms. Hargrave is an experienced attorney who focuses her practice exclusively on family law, and provides representation to clients throughout the greater Dallas metropolitan area who are either contemplating or going through a divorce. Ms. Hargrave is especially skilled at helping clients construct creative settlement agreements. In a high-conflict, lengthy, antagonistic battle, she knows that the entire family suffers. Based on her background in collaborative divorce, Ms. Hargrave encourages her clients to approach their divorce using non-adversarial techniques to minimize conflict as much as possible, diminishing the destructive effect on the family. She also encourages her clients to hold on to their core values as they go through this stressful process. Ms. Hargrave helps her clients strategize how to work toward the best possible solution, which in turn enables them to better maintain control of the outcomes in their case. Ms. Hargrave helps her clients work towards crafting an outcome that serves her client’s and their family’s interest, specializing in addressing the many different areas involved in a divorce, including:
- the division of marital assets and liabilities,
- child custody and visitation,
- alimony and
- child support,
- mental health issues, and others,
As a well-seasoned litigator, Ms. Hargrave is also prepared and equipped to provide strong courtroom advocacy when necessary to advocate for her clients. Her priority is protecting her client’s interests.
In addition to her divorce practice, Ms. Hargrave regularly prepares and reviews prenuptial agreements and cohabitation agreements, and assists clients who are seeking modifications to child support and parenting orders. Highly regarded by her peers for the sensitive and ethical way that she handles these matters, Ms. Hargrave is able to construct creative solutions with opposing attorneys that help our clients reach their goals.
Majoring in political science as an undergraduate, Ms. Hargrave attended the University of California – Davis, and received a Bachelor of Arts in 1992. Her legal education was obtained at SMU Dedman School of Law in Dallas, and she was awarded her Juris Doctor in 1995. After obtaining her law license, Ms. Hargrave worked for a litigation law firm and as an in-house counsel for a financial services company before she felt strongly led to practice family law beginning in 2006. She founded her firm in November 2013. Admitted to the State Bar of Texas, her professional memberships include the Family Law Section of the Dallas Bar Association, the Texas Academy of Family Law Specialists, the Collaborative Law Institute of Texas, and the Dallas Bar Family Law Section, among others.
Jennifer resides in Dallas, Texas, with her husband and three children. She serves in leadership positions in the Episcopal Diocese of Dallas and sits on the Board of Trustees for The Family Place.
Jennifer knows that in family law, there are battles that certainly need to be fought. However, she also knows that the process does not need to be destructive or inevitably end in warfare. “It is important to educate yourself and have an advocate on your side that knows how to use all of the available resources to work towards the very best outcome for your future.”
- Family Law
- Board Certified in Family Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
Southern Methodist University School of Law, Dallas, Texas
- Juris Doctorate – 1995
University of California, Davis, Davis, California
- B.A. – 1992
- Major: Political Science
Houston Family Law Trial Institute, South Texas College of Law, May 2011
Collaborative Law Basic Training & Interdisciplinary Training
Basic Mediation Training, Dr. Nancy Farrell, September 2019
- AV Preeminent ® Peer Review Rated*
- Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America® 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
- Selected to the Texas SuperLawyers list (Family Law) 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
- Selected to Texas Rising Stars, 2009, 2010
- Selected for inclusion in D Magazine’s, “The Best Lawyers in Dallas” 2007, 2008
- American Bar Association, Family Law Section, Member
- State Bar of Texas, Family Law Section, Member
- Dallas Bar Association, Family Law Section, Member
- College of the State Bar of Texas, Member
- Texas Academy of Family Law Specialists, Member
- Collaborative Divorce Texas, Member
- The International Academy of Collaborative Professionals, Member
- The Family Place, Board Member
- Episcopal Diocese of Dallas, previously served as Assistant Chancellor & Member of Executive Council
- Episcopal Church of the Incarnation, Former Vestry Member, Parishioner
- Alpha Phi International Fraternity, Alumnae Member
- Episcopal School of Dallas, Parent Volunteer
- Author & Presenter, “How to Divorce-Proof Your Marriage”, Episcopal Church of the Incarnation, Spring 2019
- Author & Presenter, “Family Conflict: Strategies for Healthy Resolution,” presented to various parenting associations and church groups in Dallas area, 2018-present
- Author & Presenter, “Considerations for Disputes in Faith Based Organizations,” 12th Annual Civil Collaborative Law Conference, September 2016
- Contributing Co-Author (2014). Problems and Solutions. In Kim Munsinger (Ed.), Collaborative Law – Start to Finish, (Chapter 8). Published by TexasBar Books.
- Author & Presenter, “Tax Consequences of Divorce,” Divorce Law Guide from A to Z, National Business Institute, December 2014.
- Moderator, “Judge’s Forum,” Divorce Law Guide at the 2014 Bench Bar Conference sponsored by the Family Law Section of the Dallas Bar Association.
- Moderator, “As Family Court Judges See It: Top Mistakes Attorneys Make in Litigating Divorce,” National Business Institute, 2013.
- Author & Presenter, “Discovery Guidelines” and “Keys to Managing Financial Information,” Divorce Cases from Start to Finish for Paralegals, Institute for Paralegal Education, October 2013.
- Co-Author, “What Business Owners Need to Know About Divorce,” Dallas Bar Association Headnotes, April 2013
- Author & Presenter, “Completing the Divorce,” Handling Divorce Cases from Start to Finish, National Business Institute, May 2012
- Author & Presenter, “Finance 101 for Family Law Practitioners,” Family Law from A to Z, National Business Institute, October 2011
- Author, “Email Agreements: Can they satisfy Rule 11 Requirements?” State Bar of Texas Family Law Section Report, Volume 2009-3 (Summer)
- Presenter, Collaborative Law Institute of Texas Spring Retreat, March 2011
- Presenter, International Academy of Collaborative Professionals, 9th Annual Networking and Educational Forum, October 2008
- Instructor, S.M.U. Continuing Education, “What Women Need to Know About Divorce,” Winter 2007, Summer 2007, Winter 2008, Summer 2008
- Co-Author & Presenter, “An Introduction to the Collaborative Practice”, approved for Continuing Legal Education, presented to the Collaborative Law Section, the International Law Section of the Dallas Bar Association, and the Hill Country Bar Association, multiple dates
- Presenter, 4th Semi-Annual Civil Collaborative Training, Texas Collaborative Law Council, Fall, 2006
- Presenter, Collaborative Law Interdisciplinary Training, Collaborative Law Institute of Texas, Spring 2006
- Presenter, Collaborative Law Basic Training, November 2005