Virtual Consultations Available

Five Ways to Enforce a Child Support Agreement

Navigating post-divorce life can be challenging, and having a child or children involved can make the process even more stressful. Having sole custody of your children does not mean you have to go it alone, however; child support is usually ordered to be paid by the non-custodial parent. That monthly support is crucial to your child’s wellbeing. If the check stops arriving in the mail like it used to, though, you have ways to enforce a child support agreement and regain financial support. 

  • Wage Garnishment. Before you resort to litigation, it is useful to first try other, less-drastic methods. One of the ways you can enforce a child support order is by asking the Texas Office of the Attorney General to locate your ex’s employer and force them to withhold the amount owed in child support from each paycheck he or she earns. 
  • Get a failure-to-pay item on your ex’s credit reports. If the Attorney General’s office receives notice of delinquent child support payments by a party, it is required to report this activity to major credit reporting agencies. 
  • File liens against property of assets of your ex-spouse. A lien is an interest in an asset or piece of property that ensures payment to the person who is owed. Although commonly used by subcontractors and suppliers in construction projects, the state Attorney General’s office can file liens on the non-paying party’s bank account, life insurance policy, or even non-homestead real property like vacation home, land or acreage. 
  • Suspension of licenses. If an individual has fallen behind on three months or more on child support and is not adhering to a repayment schedule, the state can suspend his or her driver’s or game licenses. 
  • File a lawsuit. Again, hopefully, the issue of non-payment can be resolved before it reaches court, but if not, do not hesitate to file suit to get the money you are owed. This type of legal action is referred to as an enforcement action, which requests that the judge take matters into the court’s hands. The judge may decide to hold the nonpayer in civil contempt, and the repayment schedule will be set and monetary penalties must be fulfilled. The judge might order criminal contempt and have the nonpayer jailed. 

Who can help with child support challenges?

You do not have to put up with the worry of making ends meet without receiving your court-ordered child support. If you are currently struggling with this issue, please call the Hargrave Family Law at (214) 420-0100 to schedule your free case evaluation so we can help you reach a solution to your family law matter.